On today's episode I had Katie Wyatt, Executive Director and founder of a very successful program called Kidznotes, a youth orchestra program based on the famous El Sistema program of Venezuela. On the chat I got to hear all about her career path and how she ended up going from the audition path to running her own nonprofit. Some things we talked about on the show:
- How Katie’s path toward an orchestra job shifted and she found herself on a totally different kind of career path
- How organizing events around world events that had an impact on her and planted a seed on what is possible for her career
- How a trip to Venezuela for a youth orchestra trip created the foundation for a different kind of priority for her career
- How she started a very successful El Sistema program locally in North Carolina called Kidznotes (yes, the same El Sistema program that LA Phil conductor Gustavo Dudamel has made famous!)
- Her experience with making that career goal change from orchestra audition focused to starting and growing a nonprofit organization
- She gives Information and advice about starting an El Sistema program in your area if this sounds like something you’d want to do!
- How her teacher reacted to her leaving the orchestra audition path- it was definitely a surprising AND INSPIRING answer.
Thank you to Ficks Music for providing the hosting for the show!